Pharmacy Technician (OUTPATIENT)
|Employer:|| U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs|
The Pharmacy Technician is responsible for providing a variety of complex technical functions and automated pharmacy functions that require the application of an extensive knowledge of pharmaceutical, medical supplies and pharmacy practices. Additionally, knowledge of pharmacy automation while working with considerable autonomy, but under the guidance of a registered pharmacist and under direct supervision of a pharmacy supervisor is required. The incumbent displays knowledge of routine maintenance, cleaning and care of all automated devices, and additionally will serve as a liaison for troubleshooting with the manufacturer of automated equipment as appropriate.|
The incumbent in this position:
* Processes, prepares, assembles and packages all medications and supplies.
* Prepares bulk/extemporaneous compound mixtures.
* Possesses the ability to interpret a prescription label as to item, dosage form, quantity to dispense, auxiliary labels, proper labeling procedures and safety precautions while filling prescriptions.
* Provides support to the Controlled Substance and Procurement Technicians during heavy workload and during their absence.
* Performs duties involved in all facets of outpatient distribution which includes use of automation for prescription filling and mailing either by US Mail or UPS.
* Follows standardized formulas and procedures in weighing, measuring and mixing bulk quantities of routinely used solutions, ointments or powders.
* Maintains communication with the Material Management and the Pharmacy Benefits Management (PBM) section concerning inventory needed and possible medication shortages.
* Interprets physician orders or prescriptions to determine the kind of medication, strength and dosage to be dispensed.
* Repackages liquids, tablets, capsules, etc. into specific quantities and various size containers.
* Ensures adherence to the postal regulations governing shipment.
* Participates in the Pharmacy Telephone Triage Center.
* Provides training and orientation of other technicians, work-study students, pharmacy interns, pharmacy residents and volunteers when assigned.
* Performs other duties as assigned.
A Personal Note to Our Valued Candidates: VAMC Orlando is committed to providing the highest quality care to our Veteran patients. We are dedicated to attracting and retaining employees with natural talent as it relates to a customer and total quality care focus. VAMC Orlando utilizes various tools to identify qualifications and natural talent, to include a manual review of experience, education and credentials, as well as an online questionnaire for clinical and non-clinical positions, and talent-based telephone interviews of candidates who serve as professional healthcare providers, and leaders, to include those at the executive-level at our healthcare facility. Applicants who are found qualified or identified as among the best qualified for a position, may be asked to participate in a natural-talent assessment as part of the hiring process; therefore, we ask that you provide us with an email address you check daily to ensure you receive and respond to our invitation timely. Please include this email address on your application materials. Thank you for considering employment with VAMC Orlando.
The Professional Standards Board (a peer-review group) will review the selected candidate's education and experience and recommend the grade and step at which the candidate will be placed. The salary is based on the grade and step approved for the selected candidate.
Ability to operate and care for automated dispensing devices and equipment.
Knowledge of, and ability to perform aseptic techniques.
Knowledge of basic inventory procedures.
Knowledge of pharmacy information systems.
In addition, the candidate must demonstrate the following technical KSAs:
1. Ability to solve problems and make recommendations, e.g., troubleshoot operational problems and refer for appropriate action.
2. Knowledge of the operation and care of automated equipment.
3.Knowledge of, and ability to follow written instructions for compounding with septic technique for hazardous materials such as oncology agents.
4.Knowledge of, and ability to perform compounding with aseptic technique for routine sterile products.
5.Knowledge of the computerized prescription process demonstrated by the ability to input prescriptions and medication orders.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE WILL NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE.
References: VA Handbook 5005/23, Part II, Appendix G28, PHARMACY TECHNICIAN QUALIFICATION STANDARD , dated March 17, 2006, and OPM Group Coverage Qualification Standard for Professional and Scientific Positions at http://www.opm.gov/qualifications/standards/IORs/GS0100/0185.htm (also available in the local Human Resources Office) and OPM Group Coverage Qualification Standard for Professional and Scientific Positions at http://www.opm.gov/qualifications/standards/IORs/GS0100/0185.htm .
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section provided and provide a legible copy of your DD214(s) and/or documentation related to your active duty service which shows dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation.
Additionally, disabled veterans and others eligible for 10-point preference (such as widows or mothers of eligible Veterans) must also submit an SF-15 "Application for 10 Point Veterans Preference" with required proof as stated on the form. For more information, please review the information for disabled Veterans in the application checklist or visit http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx .
You must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
1. CV or Resume.
2. VA Form 10-2850c - Application for Associated Health Occupations (Available at http://www.va.gov/vaforms/medical/pdf/vha-10-2850c-fill.pdf ) (required).
3. Occupational Questionnaire
4. If prior military service, include all copies of your DD Forms 214 or proof of service (required). Applicants claiming preference based on service-connected disability, or based on being the spouse or mother of a disabled or deceased Veteran, must also complete and submit an SF 15, Application for 10-Point Veteran Preference (available at http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/SF15.pdf ).
5.If currently employed in the VA system, include latest SF-50 - Notification of Personnel Action. (required).
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents:
You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.
If you completed the occupational questionnaire online and are unable to upload supporting document(s):
To complete the occupational questionnaire and submit via fax: