VHA Inc., based in Irving, Texas, is a national network of not-for-profit health care organizations that works together to drive maximum savings in the supply chain arena, set new levels of clinical performance, and identify and implement best practices to improve operational efficiency and clinical outcomes. Since 1977, VHA has leveraged its expertise in analytics, contracting, consulting and networks to help members achieve their operational, clinical and financial objectives.
In 2012, VHA delivered record savings and value of $1.9 billion to members. VHA serves more than 1,350 hospitals and more than 72,000 non-acute care providers nationwide, coordinating delivery of its programs and services through its 13 regional offices. VHA has been ranked as one of the best places to work in health care by Modern Healthcare since the publication introduced this list in 2008.
Job Title: Pharmacist Specialist
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
This individual will engage and provide pharmaceutical subject matter expertise to support the Clinical effectiveness, Patent Safety, and drug utilization programs of VHA Upper Midwest and the Upper Midwest Consolidated Services Center (UMCSC), a supply network. The person will serve as a Pharmacy subject matter expert for the company to develop strong networks inside and outside VHA with national and member organizations. They will provide conversion assistance to members as needed. The individual will develop and facilitate a Pharmacy Council that will manage future opportunities of the network, identifying opportunities as they relate to the shifting mix between Pharmacy Wholesalers and Specialty Drug Distributors. The individual will review automation and integration of aggregate group work, and potentially develop metrics and a Network Dashboard.
This individual will also collaborate with internal VHA and VHA member’s stakeholders to create, facilitate and to improve overall member value through VHA IMPERATIV advisory services and other regional collaborative. This work will encompass development of measurement of medication utilization and variation metrics, supporting regional improvement efforts related to drug utilization and antibiotic stewardship, and participating in the pharmacy component of the clinical guidelines, disease management strategies, relating to the VHA and regional improvement initiatives. They will also develop and provide verbal presentations to C-Suite, Regional Office, Member medical staff’s, and other Health Care professionals
- Pharmacy Degree required. A Masters in Business or healthcare related fields is desired.
- 5-7 years’ experience in health care preferred
- Recognition or certification by the pharmacy profession is preferred (FASHP, BCPS).
- Board of Pharmacy registered preferred with Graduate training in an accredited College of Pharmacy (M.S. or post-baccalaureate Doctor of Pharmacy) OR have completed a clinically-oriented pharmacy residency (ASHP approved residency).
- Previous pharmacy management experience is required.
- Proven experience with multiple health care organizations of varying degrees of size and complexity as well as with executives and staff at different levels. Demonstrated capacity to comprehend organizations’ business issues and needs, craft solutions addressing those needs, as well as to understand and present a wide spectrum of diverse products and services
- At least five years hands-on experience in a progressive acute care medical center, retail or non-acute pharmacy, specialty distributor, pharmacy wholesaler, or drug manufacturer is required.
- Experience with Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee activities is desired.
- Knowledge regarding the economics of the Pharmaceutical wholesalers and Specialty Drug Distributor industries is required.
- Pharmacy data analysis/analytical skills
- Current clinical pharmaceutical knowledge base
- Ability to track, facilitate and project manages identified pharmacy initiatives.
- Advanced knowledge of spreadsheet and word processing software is required.
- Strong verbal and written communications, analytical and presentation skills
- Be able to travel 30%
The Company is committed to equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants without regard to race, religion, color, gender, ethnicity, age, national origin, sexual orientation, disability status, veteran status or any other category protected by applicable law.